SU rises 8 spots on US News and World Report ranking

The rankings now include social mobility factors to assess how universities are graduating low-income students.

Syracuse University was ranked No. 53 in the 2019 US News and World Report National University rankings released Tuesday, jumping eight spots up from last year.  

In 2018, SU was ranked No. 61. SU is tied with Lehigh University and the University of Miami for No. 53 this year.  

For the second year in a row, Princeton University and Harvard University ranked No. 1 and No. 2, respectively. Columbia University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, University of Chicago and Yale University all tied for No. 3.  

SUNY-ESF dropped nine spots from No. 97 in 2018 to No. 106 this year.  

For this year’s rankings, acceptance rate was removed from the rankings methodology and the weight given to expert opinions and SAT/ACT scores was reduced, according to US News and World Report’s methodology page.    

Two new social mobility indicators were added to the methodology to measure how well universities enroll and graduate students from low-income families. The rankings now weigh the graduation rates of Pell Grant recipients and the difference in graduation rates of Pell Grant Students versus non-Pell Grant recipients.  

The weight given to student outcomes was also increased to 35 percent, up from 30 percent last year.